analytics

Friday, November 5, 2010

Living with the Land



I cannot tell you how many times I have been on this ride. I've honestly lost count. It's always amazing to see how much the vegetables have grown over time, and children in the seats behind me cooing at the bananas and the infamous nine pound lemons pictured above.



There's so many herbs rotating around in their containers. Basil, rosemary, mint, and more! I feel like a kid in a candy store when the boat enters that section.



There's spiraling columns of lettuce, and planes of it. One side is young and  newly planted, the other is older and growing. In the herb room, there's a combination of the lettuce nutrient-film technique with the fish farming. The fish are in a tank below the lettuce, and both work together to supply nutrients to each other.





Tomato trees are usually pointed at in awe by people on the boat.



I really do need to start my own little garden, and plant some herbs too.

2 comments:

  1. I have started my little herb garden and will try to add more soon. It's lovely to see the garden grows and live with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie- How nice! :) I hope I can start a herb garden soon, perhaps have some pots with fresh herbs in my kitchen. My family used to have a tomato garden when I lived in New Jersey, and we always had tons of fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I try to respond to each one in a timely manner, and your feedback is appreciated very much! ~Courtney