analytics

Friday, November 5, 2010

Of cookbooks and tortilla chips


College life has been busy, and I haven’t done much cooking in a while, sadly. I did, however, discover that my campus’s library has a nice collection of cookbooks. So far I’ve checked out:
I also went to Barnes & Noble and found one of Nigella Lawson’s cookbooks ten minutes before the store closed. Hurrah!
I’ve been learning so much from reading all these cookbooks and watching the Cooking Channel. I’ve also been watching documentaries on Julia Child (I love Netflix ever so much). The other night I was watching a clip of her making omelets, grabbed my copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking and decided to give it a try at 8pm. I had never cooked nor eaten an omelet before, and, following Julia’s instructions, I successfully made my first omelet! I was a plain omelet with butter, but it was still delicious.
Speaking of Julia, for my literature class I had to do a presentation on my favorite author. I picked her for my presentation, and someone else in the class did his on the chef who wrote Momofuku! Everyone else in class but me and him did theirs on Dr. Seuss or some teen novelist. I was happy to see another person do a cookbook author! 
I decided on impulse the other night to make fried tortilla chips. I cooked a little batch and earned an eyebrow-raise from my mother (“Why are you playing with oil at 10pm?”), sprinkled them with salt and let my family taste them. They are so much better than store-bought tortilla chips, and fun to make. :)

2 comments:

Thank you for your comments! I try to respond to each one in a timely manner, and your feedback is appreciated very much! ~Courtney